Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Week 42 and 43


Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! I am being TRANSFERRED! Anziano Flynn, one of the assistants, called me, and when he broke the news... I may have said some things I regret.  Don't let your imagination run too wild.  It's just that I was super confused and was kind of just babbling because I did NOT expect that.

We've been blown out ("white washed" in other missions) which is super weird.  [Both missionaries in a companionship being transferred out of an area at the same time.]  Usually that happens when there is major disobedience involved (uh huh, big problem here) or like zero work being done in the area.  But we have just been hitting or were about to be hitting the standards of excellence!

I'm heading to Bari to be with Anziano Chugg. The cool experience I had though is that this call came during personal study, so right afterward I said a quick prayer asking for help understanding why this would happen.  I was lead to read in the Teachings of Joseph Smith the section about missionary work. I had heard the story before. During a time in Kirtland, many members of the church and even leaders were going apostate. The prophet Joseph probably thought, "Gee, I have to keep the only faithful, solid people I have left right here to help strengthen the saints." But amidst this all, he was asked to send the Quorum of the Twelve on missions to England. It probably seemed crazy to him at the time, but he was obedient and because of it the church survived and thousands were brought to the gospel. So that made me feel a lot better.

So, here is the state of what we are leaving for the new elders:

Maged should be having his baptismal interview on Saturday. When I let him know I was leaving I told him, "It's hard, I really love this ward."  In his not super strong English he responded, "Yea, and I love... you." I think at the end he realized that that wasn't super normal to say, but it's ok, I'm super happy for him, and I love the guy too. 

Liu told us last Tuesday that he wasn't ready for his interview on Saturday. The reason why is pretty interesting though. He has a massive testimony, he knows this is the baptism he needs, and even though this has been an insanely difficult time in his life, he has never felt more peaceful. The previous Sunday he said he left church singing out loud he was so happy. But he understands the commandments very well, and with his companion and son living in Venezuela at the moment, he has some doubts and things he needs to fix privately. But I see this as an eternal family. He wants to bring her here and marry her, and I'm sure the Bishop would be more than happy to do it for free. Until then, the elders can work on getting him to take the step of baptism as soon as possible. 

Mauro has had a change of heart. When we went there the last time, it was as if they were all active members for years. They are praying multiple times a day as a family, he and Rosa are individually reading the Book of Mormon, and there was an incredible spirit of love and joy the last time we went. Plus Dennis has honestly become one of my two favorite young men in the ward.  He and the rest of the family did well putting up with the gospel principles lesson we taught on the fly this Sunday since the teacher wasn't there ha-ha. But anyway he'll be ready to be baptized once Rosa returns from Ecuador after a few weeks visit! 

This Tuesday night we were sweeping water out of our bedroom because our washer flooded.  I will say, if you ever get lazy and don't want to sweep, flooding the house is an excellent way to clean the floor .

Love, 
Anziano Cannon 



Left to right: Fabio, the legendary member missionary. We had an appointment cancel this week so we did a little street finding.  A couple times he introduced us by saying "noi siamo qui come... Agenti segreti." [We are here like....secret agents.]  I'm not sure the people understood, but it made us missionaries crack up for sure. Then there's me, Franz Barriga (Shh... but he's my favorite young man here. Such a cool kid), and Elder Saffer, an AWESOME companion who I am very sad to be leaving after three incredible transfers.



March 21, 2016

Wow. 

Reasons I am privileged to come to Bari: 

Bari itself. Our bishop told us that National Geographic rated this area as one of the top places to visit in the world. Today for p-day we went to the beach and played mountain cricket or something like that. We saw other evidence of tourism as we walked past stores like Gucci and Armani and Prada with their $1600 jackets. Most of that is probably not for the locals. 

2. The work. It's going great… I think. Apparently Bari is one of the most desired cities in this mission to go to. It is a missionary ward. Going to correlation and hearing about lots of new converts, having the bishop sit in for 40 minutes and get really involved helped. For example, the Bishop mentioned a primary activity they are planning.  "It'll be great for the kids to get together and have fun, but obviously above all we want them to invite their friends. It should be primarily a missionary activity." That was just music to my ears, it's incredible what the missionary spirit can do to a ward of about 70 people. You don't get that everywhere. 

3. My companion. He is great and super obedient. We walked out of the house first day and I found out we only ever speak Italian outside.  Awesome!  He's one transfer younger than me but has great desire and spirituality and he speaks quite well. He's also a state champion golfer and is going back to BYU to play there. 

Here's a couple cool things:

Saying goodbye to people was crazy. Liu calls us his "little brothers". I'm super glad that he's been able to build relationships with members however, because stuff like his happens. He gave us "Roma" (the soccer team) scarfs the last time we saw him.  I had ceremonially given him a tie the night before; that's a tradition for people you baptize so I'm putting some faith in him!

Mauro drove us to the train station at 6:00 AM the day we left. A few hours later, I found myself in Bari! 

We've done a couple lessons with a pianist named Piero. It was super cool last night to go there and he let me play his piano as we all sang "Israel, Israel God is Calling" as an opening song. 

Samuel! He is a Nigerian referral that we've taught with the senior couple, the Fitzners. He is super cool, about 6'3" and easily over 300 pounds. On Sunday we ate a massivvvveee lunch after church with the ward members, and we put him on "bringing in the tables" duty. I can't wait to see him get an answer that he Book of Mormon is true. Who will baptism him? We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. 

Love, 
Anziano Cannon 


Out with the old...


...In with the new! 


Liu! 


Mauro.


Maged. 

No comments:

Post a Comment