Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Week 17

September 21, 2015

First of all, I forgot to say this after 9/11, but I would like to give a big shout out to America. We really have no idea how blessed we are until we visit other countries and talk to other people. The facts that there are plenty of jobs, the government is not corrupt, and it is able to protect its citizens, etc. are all things that people in Italy or Africa would love to have. If you do not feel this is the case, I urge you to travel and get some perspective! 

On Thursday we had a miracle where during two lessons in a row right after we said the closing prayer the investigators' phone went off. It was nice to be focused and have the Spirit with us the whole lesson. I also had a ton of fun teaching four Nigerians together. They live in a camp right now and the bus doesn't come on Sundays, but they wanted us to "tell your preacher that we want to come to church". So we'll have to figure that out. At the end of the lesson they asked what my real name is. It's so funny how neither Italians nor Africans can ever get it right. The Africans eventually decided on "E-tin" after trying a couple dozen times, while Italians add an h for some reason and usually say "He-thin". 

Yesterday we ate fu fu (sp.?) with Emmanuele and his member friend Endurance. It was a crazy experience, you scoop up this spinach broth using this floury paste stuff. There's also meat. The fish was actually quite good but the cow leg was definitely the worst tasting meat I've ever had. I guess it was a good experience to have. 

Yesterday we had to do a mini exchange again because our companionship needed to be in the English and Italian wards. I wasn't there but apparently this weird guy we only taught once this week but invited him to church for the heck of it showed up to Italian ward and he tried to heal a member's broken arm. This same guy told us "you pray, and I'll bring the Spirit". I got to play piano in English ward which was super great, and the talks were something else. I was doing my absolute hardest not to burst out laughing as this African guy was calling us to repentance, literally using the term "secret combinations" and implying we need to stop doing those. 

It was a great week though bringing people to Christ. It was so refreshing to talk to two heavy smokers and tell them how they can overcome their addiction through the Atonement and see them get so emotional about it. They may never join the church, but I know I accomplished my missionary purpose that day. 

Love,
Anziano Cannon



P-day lunch. I LOVE bakeries here. You get this big load of bread for 
40 cents. I also bought a kilo of peaches (a very popular fruit here). 



 These trees reminded me of America. Not because they are 
American trees, but just because they are trees period! 




And a couple of pics of a Palermo Zone 
conference posted by Sorella Waddoups:




No comments:

Post a Comment