Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Week 18


Ah! I love seeing Emanuel's progress! Anziano Borner gave him a new white shirt which he looked so good in on Sunday, along with a nice looking vest of his own that he wore over it. He was happy to tell others about his baptism and even wanted to welcome a "newcomer". 

This week was interesting as both Elder Richard G. Scott and my uncle Layne Williams passed away. I had interesting spiritual experiences regarding both. For some reason I really wanted to give the spiritual message in district meeting on Tuesday, so Anziano Borner let me. I decided to talk about personal revelation using two talks I love by Elder Scott. So when I found out he died that day I had an oddly warm feeling inside. I also read a talk about the things that matter most to us as members of the church and had a very emotional and spiritual conversation about it in regards to my uncle's situation earlier this week with Anziano Simmons while I was on a scambio [exchange]. 

On that scambio we also got to teach a really awesome referral. He was full of questions and I was glad to take Anziano Simmons' approach of slowing down and waiting for the Spirit to speak through us (that is something I could definitely learn from). I was really surprised and happy because at one point he straight up asked "was my baptism (in another church) valid?" It was a very blunt question and when I explained it he was miraculously completely ok about with my response. 

I have never felt as inadequate as I do right now on the mission. There are so many ways I need to improve. But at least I can catch glimpses of ways I have already changed a lot. I remember the last time we lost water for a couple days I felt like it was so difficult and stressful but it happened again this week and at this point the only reason I really cared is because I didn't want it to interfere with our work. 

Oh yea transfer calls were this week. I'm staying in Bagheria and will get a new companion, Elder Anderson. He's only been in Italy for about six months himself, but that is no surprise because our mission is so young right now. As of a couple months ago, 1/3 of the mission was in its first three transfers. Anziano Borner is leaving to be a Zone leader in Cosenza. I'm sure he'll do great! 

Couple random notes: I had an insane bloody nose that lasted for about 20 minutes the other day, it was more blood than I've ever lost in my life. And I also had the most amazing brioche EVER. They usually cost 2 euro and include a ton of gelato stuffed in a sweet roll. This time I picked a chocolate gelato that had apricot flavoring. It was heavenly! 

We had a few other miracles this week. Lorenzo made it all the way through his fast and said the experience was "bellissima" [most beautiful].  We haven't met with him since then but are very excited to do so! We taught three Africans together again the Plan of Salvation. We did this because two of them hadn't yet heard it.  Our investigator, Alex, was the other one there and even though we taught it to him just a couple weeks ago he basically wanted to teach the lesson to the others by himself! Still trying to get a ride to church for them.

Then we met a Jehovah's Witness named Salvatore who loves studying. We think he's read through 2 Nephi since our first lesson the other day.  During our phone call to set up another appointment he said the Book of Mormon was truer than anything anyone else has, so that's cool.

When you are learning a language you learn not to get flowery with your testimony, but I think that's ok. So here you have it in English: The Plan of Salvation is real. The Holy Ghost is real. The prophet and apostles see and communicate with Jesus Christ himself. I know God lives! 

Love, 


Anziano Cannon 



Zone calcio [soccer] in the rain is life! 





Africans have great smiles, they just don't use 
them when taking pictures! Alex on the left.




Someone decided to light fireworks right outside our house! 




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for Sharing!!!! Love to here how the work is going in Italy.

    ReplyDelete