Monday, October 12, 2015

Week 20

October 12, 2015

This week was much different from others, marked by strong forward steps from a couple investigators. On Monday night we went and visited Salvatore. He is 70 years old but is very strong and lively for his age. It was maybe the best lesson of my mission! He told us how in all his years of looking through other religions to find God there had always been a hole.  He has never wanted to be baptized despite years of study until now, after knowing us and our church for just a couple weeks. His closing prayer to end the lesson was also very inspiring; his sincerity and emotion were very real and provided a good example for me. 

Eman also passed his baptismal interview on Saturday. I'm so nervous for him because he is so new to the gospel still. His testimony is very strong, but I realized how much I took for granted my 19 years in the church when, on Sunday, I showed him the baptismal font and we spent a couple minutes helping him (and me) figure out the position of our arms, etc. for his baptism. 

The day before my birthday the sisters brought cannoli to district meeting. Afterwards we were busy downloading a video at the church for an investigator so we had to make a 10 minute run to the train station, all with me holding a plate of cannoli. I seriously almost dropped the cannoli on the ground, as crazy as that might seem, so I could run ahead and keep the train from leaving without us because it would have been such a disaster to miss it, but thankfully we got there just in time. On my birthday we happened to have had an exchange with the zone leaders planned, who happened to have just been to Rome for a conference and gotten the mail, so I ended up getting my family's birthday package all the way from America on the exactly perfect day! We've also been SO blessed to get a ton of rain- during church, at night- basically whenever we are inside. When we leave the house it has almost always been beautiful and also perfect weather for tracting. 

This week I had a strong spiritual experience with D&C 64:33. In running, if you focus on the improvement you make each easy run you do, or the benefit of each individual extra hour of sleep you get, you will never be motivated because you cannot see the results from the small efforts you make. Likewise, as missionaries and disciples, the "well-doing" we do- each extra person we talk to or act of kindness we perform may make little or no difference, but if we focus on the "great work" that we are laying the foundation for, we can be motivated to continue to do these little acts of goodness, knowing that miracles will come eventually. 

Love, 

Anziano Cannon




We walked into the above church and there was a wedding being performed! 




Fratello Saccone works at some kind of food place and brought home this for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment