Monday, June 20, 2016

Week 55 and 56

June 13, 2016

Ok here is a BIG recommendation for all of you... I had forgotten to look at the ward list to plan out all the birthdays in the ward this transfer until early this week, then I remembered to and I don't think it was a coincidence. The next day was Sorella C's birthday. We called and she responded "Elders, how did you know it was… why did you call?", As if doubting within her that we had called her for her
birthday. Literally, all we did was wish her well and sang to her over the phone and she broke down crying twice expressing her gratitude. Then at church she had an interview with bishop and when she came out she told us how she had explained to him how we had been "two angels" that day. Seriously this took like no effort whatsoever, I would highly recommend applying similar principles to people within your sphere of influence, especially with those who are lonely.

I told Elder Haws going into our last lesson with Samuel that if we needed to drop him it would be obvious. It was obvious. He hardly slept after getting off work to come to church again yesterday, but that doesn't change the fact that he's just not there right now. It's sad but my companion has been calling down some big time miracles...

Massimiliano wouldn't (yet) promise to be baptized, but his friend Giovanni came to English course and is a stud himself. He asked a question that kind of set off a bomb during the spiritual thought about the second article of faith and scriptures that talk about cursing the fourth generation, but in talking to him after, it seemed
pretty clear that he was quite interested. He just started reading the Bible and wants to read the Libro di Mormon as well before he heads to England to be a nurse.

Angelo also seemed stoked to read, and Gianni left the Book of Mormon at his girlfriend's house and he says he thinks she might have finished it by now!?!?  I don’t know if that's true, but according to him, she thinks it is bello [beautiful] and we are meeting them together tonight.

Memorable moment of the week was the marriage reception that we held in the church for the daughter of a less active member. In other words, the place was packed with non-members. The high priests group leader who organized it was "armed to the brim" with his pockets full of pamphlets and pass along cards. He had everyone watch a Mormon message about charity by Elder Holland. And then I was asked to give the prayer. Fun times.

Love,

Anziano Cannon








June 20, 2016

Yesterday was the first time I've been really stressed in church for a while. The only other pianist in the ward was out of town so as I warmed up I thought "they picked some really weird hymns". Then during the intro, the chorister looked at me funny and I realized I was using the English hymn book. During the first talk, I took "the ox is in the mire" attitude toward using my iPad in sacrament and put it on the music stand so it looked like I was watching the speaker while I actually made edits to my talk I thought I wasn't going to have to do.

During this time Massimiliano came in to his first sacrament meeting. My companion had before that been sitting next to crazy Luca.  He started showing up last week and his dad, who came for the first time, is definitely not crazy and someone I want to teach.  We also had Milena who came and I almost mixed her up with the visiting American family because she was raised in Boston. She brought her two year old to meet all the kids... Unfortunately, none of them came. During gospel principles the sisters did an on-the-fly lesson to everyone there while I translated for John. Then I thought I would give John the Aaronic Priesthood but bishop just went for it himself.  I tried to remember everything the bishop said in the blessing so I could tell him later.

This week we started teaching Massimiliano's friend Giovanni!!! He is a great guy. He totally has that real intent. You can tell by his prayers. It's so nice explaining the Plan of Salvation to those who want to hear it.

I did my first baptismal interview this week, it was pretty cool since this lady was so prepared, it wasn't very difficult to give her the go. Like greenies, I love how new members are so excited about the Gospel, I could have let her talk for two hours straight about her testimony and experiences if I wanted to.

Love,

Anziano Cannon





Post district meeting lunch







No comments:

Post a Comment