Thursday, August 4, 2016

Week 61 and 62

July 25, 2016

What a cool week!

Favorite part: for our "Ritch-out" (that's how they spelled it) this week we went to see G. She was the one I interviewed to be baptized and has already planned where and when she will get her endowment. She asked us the night before to give her husband a Priesthood blessing. I was excited at the opportunity. The day of she made an interesting comment – it was actually a blessing that she believes really started getting her interested in the church a couple of years ago after years and years of prodding by her family (her sister who lives in Boston thought the Second Coming would happen before she would get baptized).  So I realized the potential for this blessing. We gave it and it went really well...

"No we can't do ____" "No you can't ____" "no it's not possible to skip____". I've had to tell my companion "no" a bunch of times, but would never say no to something that would shut down his faith, if that makes sense. Never a "no, that won't work" type thing has come from my lips. The morning of the ritch-out I had my first opportunity as he said he thought after the blessing we should ask the husband right there to take the lessons. I was quite skeptical. But I couldn't say no. So we asked. We had come with the "machine" of home teaching, the aforementioned 70 year old and 5'1" Fratello P, who was enjoying talking about everything from the Telestial kingdom to tea. But Anziano Haws found a way to ask P if he would take the lessons.  It was the first thing he had said like the whole time.  And he said yes!!! Can't wait!!

G has been reading while he has been out of town, we are ready for the stop smoking plunge tomorrow night!

Mission president update: it's awesome. We have zone conference tomorrow. He's been laying down the law, I love it.

Other than that, a good week leading up to a great one this week. The Nigerians should be arriving soon to start making their furfur for the FHE with the YSA. I made only one request: "please put lots of cow leg in there". Hey you might as well live it up while you're here.

Love,

Anziano Cannon

At the restaurant of a potential investigator. Right by the sea.




August 1, 2016

A whirlwind week!

Friday night my companion did something neither of us had done in a while.  He prayed that the next day we would find a family to teach. The next morning as I closed our comp study prayer I had the idea that we could go to G's house unexpectedly. We had the name of his street but nothing else, and neither of us could remember his cognomen [last name] but Anziano Haws said he might be able to recognize it if he saw it.  That right there is a recipe for three hours of house to house. Turns out, we took a bus to where he lives and the second palazzo [building] we went to had the name "Dente" written on one of the spaces. He happened to be there with his parents! They listened to us do a very Spirit led, on the fly lesson and accepted to have us come back!

Sunday was a bit chaotic, we started teaching V who did awesome. He seems pretty prepared.

We've been trying to take Elder Ballard's challenge to talk to 20 people about the Restoration every day. I've gained a testimony of opening my mouth all the time whenever I can. We were on the bus the other day and I talked to an old man right next to me but no one else was saying anything so they could all hear our conversation. Then this younger lady interrupted and asked "che predicate?" "What do you preach?" She is now a new investigator for the sisters.

People who know me understand that painful experiences can make me smile, sometimes even laugh (just think about the last time you saw me jump into a cold lake). So obviously Anziano Haws thought he might have missed a joke written between the lines of Preach My Gospel Chapter 12 that we were studying for his training Thursday afternoon. Turns out, my body was starting to feel very uncomfortable in a way that can be related to... By those who have passed a kidney stone.

So yea that was fun, it passed pretty quickly and we got back to work.

Things are quite interesting, the zone leaders are giving us a run for our money. They found 16 new investigators this week. I challenged them to learn the names of all the people they are teaching!

Love,


Anziano Cannon

Transfer 10


No comments:

Post a Comment