Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Week 79

December 5, 2016

Wow! What a cool miracle! Sometimes missionaries get a little lazy and put on causal clothes every p-day. I was really proud that we were in our white shirts because this morning as we walked to the bus stop.  As we crossed a busy street as a Filipino couple crossed in the opposite direction. I don't know if they would have recognized us if we had just had on our name tags. But I ran back to the other side since she clearly recognized us, and she told us she is a member that she just got here a week ago! It’s great too because we have several Filipino members. The man isn't a member. We'll see if we can change that.  :)

Quote of the week:

"I've been here for two years and I haven't met a missionary who could answer a real question in Maltese" – Brother Vassallo. He is an older Maltese man and is super nice. He wasn't saying it to criticize, he was just making an honest observation in a way that made me crack up.  But silently I promised to change that. It's very easy to just give up Maltese and rely on English, but for me learning the language is a sign of love for the people I serve, and plus it's necessary now more than ever! (See next paragraph)

The same brother Vassallo translated our first lesson with O! It went great, except for the awkwardness of having a translator.  "He thinks he doesn't want to be baptized"

What???

"Oh wait, he said he thinks he doesn't want to have to have to wait a long time to be baptized". (That legitimately happened).  So yea this guy was standing outside of church a year ago and a member invited him to come to the service. He has been coming faithfully ever since, but has never been taught! We hope to baptize him in January.  He is so humble and loves telling us "thank you", which is one of the
probably ten words he knows in English.

Quick note about our branch: it's crazy, but I love it. Yesterday was an incredible testimony meeting, I loved hearing the amazingly unique stories of how the members found the gospel to be true (all are coverts except an American family). We have a couple old guys from Scotland and Ireland who made livings as a professional chef (and we are talking, professional here) and a kilt maker (he made the kilts for the movie "Braveheart").

Sorry to bring this up again, but we did another gesso [street contacting] in Valleta, and this time I ordered first: "can I have a hot date?" The ladies at the counter started laughing a bit, and I joined in because I usually do, and I thought it was funny cuz they notice we are coming to their stand often. Then they asked "how many?" And without any knowledge that this would seem weird I said "one for each of us" to the two 30ish year old women at the counter. I seriously didn't even understand why they thought it was so funny until afterward. I guess their English is better than I thought.

Malta is great!! Anziano Blaylock and I are doing really well together, we have lots of fun and work hard! He doesn't even Bible bash, I'm really impressed cuz we taught a referral that could was really asking to bash, but he and our member did a super good job.

Love,

Presbiteru Cannon








No comments:

Post a Comment